Picture of the Cherub

About The Cherub Inn

The Cherub Inn dates from 1380 and still retains many of its original features, including some old ships' timbers, and its original use is thought to have been as a Merchant's House. It is the oldest building in Dartmouth - possibly the oldest "town house" in the South Hams - and is a Grade 2* Listed Building, a category reserved for the most interesting of smaller buildings.

This photograph of Higher Street (circa 1890) shows what is now The Cherub Inn to the left of the group of people. This was the principal street of Dartmouth in Elizabethan times and was almost untouched until a fire in 1864 destroyed the southern end, and during the Second World War the side opposite The Cherub Inn was bombed. In 1958 the building was virtually derelict but was completely restored by Mr. Cresswell Mullett who also restored No.3 Higher Street.

The Cherub Circ 1890

Click image to view large version.

In the 60's The Cherub was a private members club and it was only in the early 70's that it became an Inn and Restaurant. The entrance door leads straight into the bar and on the two floors above are the restaurants and kitchen. Below the bar is the beer cellar with probably another cellar (now filled in) below that. This sub-basement would probably have had access onto the foreshore when the river flowed where Lower Street is now.

Trading hours & facilities

  • Open all day, every day
  • Morning coffees & lunches
  • Afternoon teas & dinners
  • A La Carte menu & bar snacks
  • Fully licensed & real ales

 

Where we Are:


View Larger Map